I have been reading the book “The Principles and Power of Vision; Keys to Achieving Personal and Corporate Destiny” by Dr. Myles Munroe and he states “vision is a conception that is inspired by God in the heart of a human.” According to the Webster’s Dictionary vision means “the act or power of anticipating that which will or may come to be.” Since we are at the beginning of a new year and the beginning of a new presidency the world seems to have “vision” at the forefront of their minds. But what is vision according to the Word of God?
God gave each of us the gift of vision so we do not have to live by what we can see, hear, taste, feel or smell. However, as excited as we are at the beginning of something new; whether it be a year, project, or new start, we eventually come to the point where we loose sight of the thing we are hoping for. We loose sight of the vision. Life happens, obstacles stand in our way, naysayers are constantly whispering in our ear, and we start to doubt our vision will ever come to pass. We have to be able to stand back and know what our vision is – so it can push us forward. God has already placed His purpose for you in your heart; He has a plan and a purpose for your life and your vision comes from your purpose! Our responsibility is to pray and ask God what our purpose is and then sit down and write out the vision for where God is leading us; then it is God’s responsibility to bring it to pass. We must remember God will not give us a vision without providing the way for it; but He is not going to do it for us without some things in place on our part! We must have the faith and act; we must have the discipline to preserve to the end!
Hebrews 10: 35-36 says, “So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.” I love that; “you need to persevere!” God is telling us right there what we must do with the vision He has given us! I want to share with you what Dr. Monroe wrote in his book; which are great reminders of what we need to do concerning our vision and staying connected to it:
1. Obstacles will come against you and your vision. You must be persistent if you are going to achieve the vision God has given you.
2. Faithfulness means being true to what you have decided to accomplish and letting nothing stop you.
3. Steadfastness means to stand fast or stand steady in the face of resistance.
4. Courage is the ability to stand up in the face of fear.
5. Fear is a positive thing when it gives birth to courage.
6. Even though there will be times of stress, disappointment, and pressure, your vision will come to pass.
7. Every resistance to your vision comes to make you wiser, not weaker. Every opposition comes to strengthen you, not to stop you.
8. Destiny demands diligence.
9. Many people lose because they quit when life says “no” the first time but persistent people win. They never take no for an answer when it comes to their vision.
10. There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light God has put within you.
11. Perseverance means bear up under pressure.
12. Character is formed by pressure. The purpose of pressure is to get rid of what is not of God and to leave what is pure gold.
13. There is no stopping a person who understands that pressure is good for him because pressure is one of the keys to perseverance.
14. It is not those who are swift, but those who endure to the end who succeed.
15. Vision always demands a cost.
16. Every true vision will be tested for authenticity.
Remember God is the author of your vision so you must spend the time with Him so He can guide you and lead you to where He wants you to be! You can do this! Your vision will come to pass if you are willing!