Have you ever been at a place in your life where you were just too scared to look back and too scared to look ahead at the same time? I have been in that place before and it is one of the hardest places to be in. What I have learned is when my faith seems too frozen to move, I must ask myself one question..”Do I trust God right now?” Trust – such a simple word, yet such a hard word too.
The word trust means, “firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.” Let’s break down the word and relate it to God. Trust in the firm belief that God is reliable, that God is truthful, that God has ability in your situation and that God has the strength. When we use this definition about a person we may not believe each of these points of reliable, truth, ability, or strength. But with God He is all of those things and more. Of course that is easy to say and believe until you are hit in the face of being too scared to look back and too scared to look ahead at the same time.
I can remember going into a new year and being scared of it. So much had happened to my family that I felt like I could not take one more bit of bad news. This is when I learned also that the firm growing of my faith in believing God for impossible things of the past had landed me right where I was in my life. All those struggles of faith had been a boot camp so to speak for the raging war I had found myself currently in. And while fiery darts were flying all around me my feet just could not turn around or move forward. I asked myself how was I going to trust God when all of this was just too hard? How do I obey the Word of God which clearly instructs us to, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” – Proverbs 3:5-6.
In the midst of my struggles I could not understand the lessons but now looking back I see exactly what those valuable lessons from God were and I am passing them on to you:
- Your pain matters to God and you must know that God is with you and He is for you. “For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:13
- Allow God to fight for you- “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” Exodus 14:14
- You really do not know God is all you really need until God is all you have.”Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
- The pain is not just an interruption in your life; the very pain that hurts so much, is the very thing God will use to show you He is trustworthy. Psalm 62:5-8
- Remember Jesus took away the only true suffering which can destroy you – being cast away from God. That cannot happen. Focus on the fact that whatever you are facing cannot destroy you. “Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes”Ephesians 1:4